It’s been over a month since we got the histology results for the melanoma I had removed from my right calf at the end of August and I still don’t know for certain whether I’ll need a second procedure.
There’s no doubt that “we” (for want of a better term) got all the melanoma. “Completely excised,” reads the report from September 4th (I was told on September 5th). However, we didn’t get quite as much healthy tissue from the surrounding area as the guidelines recommend. That said, because the melanoma was so thin, and also it seems it’s not an exact science, it could be that what we did get might be considered enough.
Because it’s not clear cut (no pun intended), the doctor(s) involved in the initial diagnosis and procedure asked for a second opinion. I am, of course, more than happy with that but the second opinion – or rather the official second opinion – hasn’t been forthcoming. While the plastic surgeon has been told they will recommend a re-excision, we’re waiting for official word before we make any decisions. That also makes sense but we’re still waiting. And it’s not clear to me why that’s the case.
I had a wide local excision on August 29th (Melanoma? You’ve got to be kidding). The surgeon cut out what turned out to be a very thin melanoma along with a “safety margin” of healthy-looking tissue around the lesion. The purpose of the safety margin is to remove both the primary tumour and any melanoma cells that might have spread into the surrounding skin. The recommended margins, both at the edges and in the depth, vary depending on the thickness of the tumour. Thicker tumours need larger margins. The definition of thin is a thickness of less than or equal to 0.5mm; in my case it was 0.3mm. Very thin by any normal measure and thankfully in melanoma terms too. I couldn’t be more relieved at that result, but it turns out there’s a question over the margins. Thus the need for the second opinion.
Things are rarely straightforward.
Also, the wound has taken longer to heal than it could have done so I still haven’t been able to get back to exercising. Your calf is not a good place to have a wound as basically you’re putting stress on it with every step. We’re nearly there, though… although if another excision is needed we’ll be back at square one.
The main thing is that the melanoma was thin. I understand a second procedure, if that’s what’s decided, would be a precautionary measure – albeit with potentially considerable consequences on a practical level if it involves a skin graft, as I’ve been told it might. I also understand that you have to wait until the original wound is “safe” before you re-excise. However, regardless of when we’d do it, I’d really like to know for sure whether it’s happening or not.